f

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Ginger Jeans Sew Along Begins!

Just wanted to let you all know that my first post for the sew along is upon the Sew News blog and you can find it HERE.


This week we talk a little more about the jeans and some of the subtle details that make them so very special, like the curve of the back pockets.


We also talk about notions, like the proper zippers, needles and thread.


If you would prefer not to shop, Heather has put together a nice package of the notions that you will need. It includes a metal zipper, rivets, jean buttons, and denim needles. You can find the package HERE.


Heather has also put together a wonderful Ebook on sewing your own jeans. One chapter is devoted to fitting and pattern adjustments. The Ebook has some fun extras like;

Inserting ankle zippers
Turning your skinny jeans into flared jeans

You can find the Ebook HERE. I think it's a great addition for your jean sewing toolbox.  

So pop over to the Sew News blog, check out the post and by all means gather your supplies so we can get started on our jeans next week!

If by chance you have not purchased your pattern, you can find it HERE at Shop Sew It All.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda, Can I ask you about the fabric you used for your Ginger jeans? Any good places to look for denim fabric? I've read lots of blogs and they recommend Cone Mills denim. I'm sure it's great but I would rather use something cheaper to test the pattern the first time. What do you think of Joann's denim? My local store had some that had 2% lycra and also cotton/rayon/poly. I always said I didn't want to make jeans or bras. But I'm tired of the low waisted jeans that seem to be the only thing available in the stores. I want my waist to be a bit higher and these Ginger jeans look like what I want. Though I'll change the legs to bootcut. With my hips skinny jeans aren't flattering. And besides I can't really resist a pattern named Ginger. LOL Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first pair I made, the pair you see above were made with denim that I purchased at Joann's. Just be careful. I recently purchased 2 more pieces for jeans, another blue, and a black piece. While I was there, I noticed that some of the denim was not marked correctly. Some said that it had the 2% Lycra, but there was basically very little stretch. As you look at the denim, just be careful to pull the fabric and feel the stretch. So for a first pair, and even a second and third :), I think you will be fine with the denim from Joann's. Just check the stretch.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your fabric thoughts. I'll test the stretch before I have anything cut.

      Delete