f

Monday, November 2, 2015

Monday Morning Inspiration/Pattern Drafting Skirts

Welcome to November! Where did October go?!! Before we know it, Christmas will be here. 
Okay, skirt drafting! This is always fun and exciting for me. 
Since we are looking at a flat, one-dimensional picture, it leaves a few questions. But, I think I finally figured it out. 
Let's take a closer look at the skirt. Look closely at the waistline and you'll see darts. For such a full skirt, it's really quite fitted through the upper part of the hips. 
When I initially looked at the skirt, I thought that it may have pleats on either side of center front.  
I was able to pull up the picture below, and on closer inspection, the fullness radiates from the darts. So, no pleats. As for fullness, there are 2 big folds at the hem of the skirt which shows where the fullness radiates from. We can also see that the front of the skirt hangs very flat, but thanks to the fact that the skirt is made out of a plaid fabric, we can see that the lower portion of the side seam hangs on the bias.   


So with all of that in mind, let's begin with a 2-dart straight skirt.  
From the darts, square 2 lines down to the hem of the skirt. The description of the skirt indicates that it is a midi length. So if you would like a longer skirt, now is the the time to add length to the bottom of your skirt. 
Cut each panel apart.
(Please forgive my drawings. I didn't realize that they were as wonky as they are, but I think you'll still be able to understand what I did.)
Determine how full you would like the bottom of your skirt to be. I would suggest adding 3" to 5" to the hem of each panel. If you would like a fuller skirt, you can add more. 
Since we want the skirt to be flat below the waist, draw an angled line out from the bottom of the dart to the hem. At the hem, the amount should be the 3" to 5". The side panel, which is the panel on the far left in the picture below, begin the angled line at the hip line and then radiate the angled line to the hem.
The grainline will remain straight in the middle of each panel.
Now for the pocket.
Once again, let's take a look at the skirt.
We see that the pocket sits away from the skirt. I can also see that the pocket is a patch pocket, so it is sewn on top of the skirt.
A closer view of the pocket.
Determine how deep you would like your pocket to be. The pocket on this skirt is quite deep, so more of a fashion statement than a usable pocket. 
Next, determine about how wide you would like your pocket to be. It should be at least a few inches wider than your hand.
The bottom of the pocket will be your determined width.
From the bottom of the pocket, angle a line out about 2" on either side. Remember, you can always cut it down. Just pin it to the skirt and make adjustments. 
Between now and next week, I will either have a muslin, or a fashion fabric skirt made up for you to see.
And then next week, we will also draft out the skirt pictured below. I think this was the second runner up in the voting. I think I will be hemming mine ;)
If you have any questions, be sure to ask. Just leave them in the comment section.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

18 comments:

  1. Thanks Rhonda, I do want to try making this red skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did 3 different drafts before I finally settled on what I posted. Like I said, I initially thought it might have a pleat, but no. Than I thought it might b a slash up to the dart and then spread. But that would close up the dart. So I finally settled on this. I'm looking forward to giving it a try too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Rhonda. This is a great way for me to work on my drafting skills! I took a class in 2007 & enjoyed it. I now need to find a piece of fabric to practice on. Thank you again. I really enjoy your blog with all your great ideas! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that I've been able to inspire you :) Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your thought process and your drafting. I would certainly like to try this skirt. Thank you for all of your inspiration and sewing encouragement.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. H'mm. I'm looking at a skirt pattern in my discard box very similar to this. Time to pull it out and take a better look. No sense in reinventing the wheel if tweaking a pattern will suffice. Looking forward to seeing your muslin or finished skirt. From what I can see, this is a back zip with no waistband but a waist facing, no?

    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No waistband, just a facing. The skirt did have a center back zipper, but, depending on the pocket, you might be able to get by with a side zipper.

      Delete
    2. I just realized that you mentioned a discard box. I admire that you can get rid of patterns. I have such an inventory of patterns, just for the very reason that you talked about, no reason to reinvent the wheel each and every time :)

      Delete
  5. j'habite une petite ville au maroc et je suis avec un réel plaisir tes publications, merci beaucoup pour ta générosité, j'aime beaucoup tes photos et ton sourire chaleureux va droit au coeur, je comprends avec un petit effort l'anglais,mais il m'est très difficile de m'exprimer en anglais et je tiens absolument à te dire merci infiniment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my French was better so that I could respond in French. But I was able to translate your message and it was just so lovely. Merci beaucoup!

      Delete
  6. You have a great eye! I thought those folds were from pleats, but can see that you are absolutely right! And I can see the bias detail now. I learned a lot from your post - - and will look forward to your muslin and skirt. One question - I love the pocket detailing and how they seem to stand out from the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      The pocket is wider at the top than it is at the bottom. But it is sewn on so the the top portion of the pocket stands away from the body.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I like both. My favorite is the beige one. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait till your next post on this. I am very interested in this.😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both nice. I will truly be making the second skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these skirts and can hardly wait to get home and try them. So easy, it looks. Who doesn't have a 2-dart skirt pattern in their stash????? Thanks for another great inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fantastic timing Rhonda. I just started going to a pattern drafting course this week (one night a week for the next 6 weeks) and I can now understand the pattern drafting drawings now (Yippee). I am going to make a toile next week of my basic skirt pattern next week and if that goes well I might just try this red skirt. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete