f

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Isaac Mizrahi and The Magic Flute

I'm having quite the week as it turns out. Monday afternoon while walking my dogs, I tripped on the curb and badly bruised my foot, so much so that we initially thought it was broken. Thankfully, it isn't, but it's been very difficult to walk and there are no high heels in my immediate future :( 
Last night, my eye was hurting and I noticed that the lid was a little swollen. This morning it is almost swollen shut. I made the comment to my husband that I look like Quasimodo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and he agreed!!!! Needless to say, I will be off to the doctor shortly. 
I started this post Monday evening but ended up falling asleep before I got it finished. A few weeks back, I shared with you that I would be going to St. Louis, Missouri for an opera festival and to my surprise, Isaac Mizrahi had designed the costumes for The Magic Flute. Not only did he design the costumes, he also directed the opera, quite a feat! The opera was magical, just as The Magic Flute should be. He did take a little different twist on the opera as he injected quite a bit of dance.  This was one production that I so wished I could have take pictures, but of course that is not allowed, but I did find lots of pictures, so I think I can walk you through the production.  
Every production of The Magic Flute that I've seen is full of magical animals.Below is a sketch of what Isaac Mizrahi envisioned.
Making adjustments.
And here you see the animals on stage.
Each character in the opera had a dance double. Above you see the dance double for the character of Pamina. Pamina is the daughter of The Queen of The Night and the love interest of Prince Tamino. 

FLUTE PAMINA 400
The costume for Tamino,

was a exact copy of the costume that Gene Kelly wore in the movie An American in Paris. In fact, there were many references to classic Hollywood movies throughout the opera.
Mizrahi envisioned Sarostro, (the king who kidnaps Pamino and who as it turns out is the father to Pamina), and his court in red jackets with gray slacks, very much a nod to the suits worn by men who are members of the Masonic Temple.
The Queen of the Night was very Hollywood. Under the long robe was a pair of palazzo pants and a fabulous halter top.   
           FLUTE QUEEN PAMINA KNIFE 400
He did a very interesting take on her court's costumes, big voluminous sequined tulle skirts with small tailored jackets.
The love interest of Papagano, the bird catcher,was drop dead sexy. The feathered jacket was amazing.

Since the story revolves around the very funny bird catcher, Papagano, there are many birds in the production. The above costume was incredible, he flapped and fluttered just as a bird would. 
FLUTE PAPAGENO OWL 425
Check out those feather pants!!!

I think that the ostrich was my absolute favorite costume. The dancer was able to interject such hilarity into his part. The black tights were not used in the production that I saw, rather hot pink tights. Such fun!!!
If you have never seen an opera, The Magic Flute would be a wonderful introduction as it is light, no one is killed or dies and it ends on a very happy note. The costumes are also a feast for the eyes.
As I said in the earlier post that I did, I am so happy to see Isaac Mizrahi realizing dreams especially after all the disappointment he had early on in his career. For me there was a little life lesson in all of this, even when everything seems to go wrong, don't give up. You never know what life holds for you tomorrow.
I hope to be back later today with The Wednesday Showcase. Fingers crossed!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for all the pictures! It sounds so fun and entertaining. Oopsie about your fall and eye. Hope all heals as it should! and soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foot isn't that big of a deal, just hurts. My eye has me worried though. Just waiting to hear back from my doctor.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for showing the Mizrahi costumes for the Magic Flute. I am not really an opera fan, but I love the Magic Flute--the music is so beautiful. These are great costumes. I hope you recover quickly.

      Delete
  2. I love The Magic Flute and this looks like an amazing production. The feathered pants are fabulous. Sorry to hear about your foot and your eye. I hope that they are not sore and that you get better soon. xxxx p.s. I agree about the life bit lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful sensory feast this must have been! Thanks for sharing. I, too, am happy Isaac has been successful in mid-life. I've learned much from him from his TV shows over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I would love to see that production! (It's one of my favorite operas.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that a lot more is going to be in his future. The reviews were wonderful and he approached the opera with such a unique interpretation.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the opera with us. It looks absolutely wonderful. I hope your eye is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. Seeing the drawings and the final costumes is just bliss. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun - what a great visual treat! Thanks for sharing. Hope your foot and your eye are both on the road to healing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness! Last week I tripped over the AIR and went flying across my carpet landing hard on my knees and then scraping them. I can't imagine hitting cement! What did they find was affecting your eye?
    Thanks for all the pictures. VERY interesting! I've never been to an opera, but I LOVE the movie Phantom of the Opera. I bought the CD.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to see an opera at some point. I think you'll enjoy it. Just make sure that it is something light and fun, like The Magic Flute or The Elixer of Love. Or ask me before you buy tickets :)
      As for my eye, it's just a miserable infection. He had no idea what could have caused it. Hurts like crazy. All I want to do is lie in bed with me eyes closed.

      Delete
  9. Hope that you recover quickly, best wishes.
    That musical looks breathtaking! That must be so exciting to watch.

    ReplyDelete