f

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sunday's Soup

When I went shopping this morning for the ingredients I needed for the soup that I intended to make today, I saw a package of red lentils that looked especially good, so I threw them in my cart. After I got back home, I came across a soup recipe on Pinterest that intrigued me and it just happened to call for red lentils. Serendipity! Well, almost, I had to run back to the store to get a few ingredients. In the end, it was well worth the trip as the soup is absolutely delicious.
The recipe comes from a website called www.atouchofzest.com. It's all about healthy eating made easy. Based on this soup recipe, this is a website that you should bookmark and come back to. I know I will! I made no changes to the recipe. It may seem like there's a lot of cumin and coriander, but trust me, it's the perfect amount! If you enjoy Indian food, even just a little, I think you'll really enjoy this soup. You can find the recipe here,  http://atouchofzest.com/red-lentil-coconut-soup/ When you go to the website, you'll find a print version that will be easy to print off and save.
Enjoy!

Red Lentil and Coconut Soup

Ingredients;
2 cups of red lentils, rinsed until water runs clear
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 chilli, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 400g can diced tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons cumin
  • 2 tablespoons coriander
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • 8 cups vegetable stock

  •  
    Directions;
     
    1. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and carrot to a large pot with a little oil and fry for around 10 minutes
    2. Add cumin, coriander and paprika and mix well to combine
    3. Add stock and lentils to the pot and bring to boil. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes
    4. Add the coconut milk, tomato paste and diced tomatoes and simmer for a further 20 minutes
     
    My chives have started coming up, so I sprinkled a few on my soup to serve. Fresh cilantro would also be a nice garnish.
    Hope you are having a lovely and peaceful Sunday!
    Rhonda



    Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

    1 comment:

    1. Yum, Rhonda... Inspired to make this for my family this week!

      ReplyDelete