f

Monday, April 28, 2014

Monday Morning Inspiration

Those of you who have followed my blog for a while know that am an avid Vogue Magazine reader. Now, I'm like everyone, when my magazine arrives, I quickly thumb through to see what fashion treasures lay waiting among the pages. But my true joy comes from the articles...really!!! So often I am touched by what I read. My May issue arrived last Saturday and it did not disappoint. I came across a very short article that touched my heart and I think it will yours as well.
Meet Phoebe Dahl.
Originally from Santa Fe, New Mexico, she learned to sew while working with her grandmother who owned an antique store. Her love of sewing took her to San Francisco where she studied fashion design at The Fashion Institute of Design. From there she went on to the London College of Fashion. After graduating, she was assisting a designer in Amsterdam. Her job involved trips to Tokyo and Nepal. While in Tokyo, she discovered the most beautiful linen fabrics, but it was in Nepal that her career was rerouted. Phoebe saw extreme poverty and she learned that an education is often out of reach for families as they are unable to afford the required uniform needed to attend school.  Her love of fine linen and a desire to make a difference birthed her company Faircloth. With each garment that is purchased, a uniform is purchased for a child in Nepal enabling them to attend school. Without an education, girls are thought to be worthless, and their parents often sell them to sex traffickers.
Faircloth is a simple, but directional line of organic linen. Her easy to wear drop-waist dresses, bloomers, cropped shirts, and smocks have attracted everyone from teenage girls to middle-aged and beyond women.  









You can see more of her designs here, http://fairclothsupply.com/collections/shop.
If the style is not yours, but you would still like to contribute, you can do so for as little as $12.00.
You can find other opportunities here, http://fairclothsupply.com/collections/fromnepal
Who would have thought that a little girl making hats and scarves in her grandmother's antique store would go on to make such a difference. Now that's inspiration!!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. What an incredible showing of care and helping others. I will donate as soon as I stop writing this comment. Once again, thank you, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing that we could completely change the course of someone's life with just $6.00?

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post, Rhonda. I REALLY love her simple designs.That ruffled peplum is on my radar! Linen is always so classy. I feel this young woman has a big future ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she does too. One of my favorites is the open tunic with the skinny pants.

      Delete