f

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday's Soup

If I didn't know by the calendar that Christmas is approaching, I would know by the amount of catalogs that make their way to my mailbox. Thankfully, it's less that it was at one time, but nonetheless, they come. I received a catalog from William's Sonoma and I must admit that I do like to thumb through and see what goodies might be lurking on their catalog pages. As I flipped through, I saw this page where they were actually advertising a stand for you i-pad. What caught my eye though was the gloriously orange soup. I love carrots(take note of my bowl!!)and I always have a bag or two in the refrigerator, so I couldn't wait to give this soup a try.
Look at that beautiful color. This is a new favorite, SO simple to make and so very delicious.The title says it all;
Simple Carrot Soup 

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) rounds
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, plus leaves for garnish
  • 6 cups (48 fl. oz./1.5 l) vegetable or chicken stock, plus more as
      needed
  • Crème fraîche for serving

Directions:

In a stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and chopped thyme and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the 6 cups stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add more stock if needed to reach the desired consistency. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Top with crème fraîche and thyme leaves and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.

As you can see from my picture, I did not add the creme fraiche, I ate it just as it was out of the pot. This soup will freeze beautifully. Make up a double recipe and then freeze individual servings for lunches. I've always enjoyed tomato soup, but I think this is my new favorite. If you like carrots, you'll really enjoy this soup. The website has a nice printer version of the recipe and you can find it here, http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/simple-carrot-soup.html?cm_src=SEARCH_FEATURELIST||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-&cm_re=OnsiteSearch-_-SCHBillboard-_-SEARCH_FEATURELIST

Enjoy!!!!




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment:

  1. I also like flipping through Williams-Sonoma catalog. They always include those very appetizing food photos. I should make this carrot soup for my daughter who loves carrots. Happy Holiday, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete