f

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Brunch


Hippy Dippy Pancakes, A New Version


Lacking one week, I posted this recipe one year ago. There must be something about July that makes me want to make pancakes. You can see the original post here.
Not only do I enjoy pancakes, but my Little Bit loves them as well.
The mouth in action! "Give me that pancake!!"
Something that I love to do is experiment in the kitchen. A little story about me, actually a bad story. I made a pot of chili some years ago. Now, I have never met a hot pepper that I didn't like, but somehow this chili was hot to even me. As I tried to think of some way to fix my super hot chili, something came over me and I decided that it was a situation of mind over matter. How I was able to convince myself of this, I will never know, anyway, I decided that if I didn't tell my husband and my exchange student that it was hot and if I acted as though it was fine, they wouldn't notice. So I served the chili, sat down and began to eat. Finally, my exchange student, said, "Rhonda this chili is just too hot." My husband chimed in and said that he thought it might be just him, but he too thought it was awfully hot. He then asked if it was hot for me. I had to admit that yes it was hot, but I had hoped that they wouldn't notice. My husband said, "How can you not notice when your mouth is on fire?!!" I have yet to live that one down. It's a wonder that my exchange student still speaks to me, probably a bigger wonder that he didn't go pack his bags and leave that day.
So with that little story behind me, let me preface this recipe with this, it is not hot, it has been tried and the pancakes are truly very good. Refer to the above picture!!
Here is the original recipe with the changes I made today in red;


2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
3 tablespoons almond meal (ground almonds) 3 tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon almond extract, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon oil
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon no cinnamon
2 cups almond milk

Begin by combining all dry ingredients.
Combine liquid ingredients and whisk into dry ingredients. 
Add a pile of  fruit. I had blueberries on hand.
 I also like to add chopped nuts. I added about 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts.
While you are mixing all of your ingredients, start heating your griddle so that it is nice and hot when you are ready to begin cooking the pancakes. I use a very large cooking spoon to pour my mixture on to the grill.
 Once the pancakes begin to bubble, turn.
Pile on a plate and serve.
Good then and... 
good now.
My Little Bit's face is getting so white. We know that she has a lot of Schipperke in her (a little dog originally from Belgium) but she has has a black tongue so somewhere in her history is Black Chow. Amazing as she only weighs 15 pounds!
This is how she looked as a baby. Awwww! She'll always be a baby in my heart.
This recipe makes a large amount of pancakes. What I do is put a little wax paper between each leftover pancake and freeze them. When I don't feel like making something on a Sunday morning, I pull out my leftovers and put them on a piece of foil and place in the oven until they are warm and just a little toasty. Really good the second time around as well.
Wishing you a beautiful, blessing filled Sunday.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The problem is that they begin to grow old all too fast. Hope you're having a lovely day.

      Delete