f

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fabulous Free Pattern Fridays

Sewing has been a passion of mine for as far back as I can remember. When I was five years old my grandmother taught me to embroider and I was hooked on everything that had anything to do with a needle. 
For quite a long time, I have had a passion to encourage others to sew. I can remember when I was in high school, the girls would be measured and in horror they would find out their size in a pattern and never return. So sad. Many of those who did stay past the initial measuring, left when they were unable to make a garment fit. 
I studied at a school here in Chicago that is sadly no longer in existence. The education there was wonderful. Emphasis was put on pattern development and construction skills. We did have illustration classes, but this was not our focus. I went on to teach there for a few years but left when my bridal business began to take most of my time. One summer I taught a summer camp. All the little girls were around the age of ten. I worked awfully hard, but I had a blast. It was during that class that I developed pieces that could easily be made from simple shapes. Every last girl left the camp excited about sewing. Their confidence was exciting to see. Toward the end of the camp I did use some patterns just to get them acquainted with patterns, but what I saw was that being able to make something and have instant success encouraged them to keep going. And so, it was then that my little idea was given birth, but it took a number of years before I was able to find an outlet for what has now become Fabulous Free Pattern Friday. When I began this series, I intended to do 52 posts in total. I've almost reached my goal!! AS of last Friday I have 38 in total. (One week, Miss Shams was so very gracious to do a guest post.) It wasn't until I began to post my things on Pinterest that I really began to see what I have done and to be a little excited about it all. Yes, Pinterest can be like a deep black hole that will take you prisoner and gobble up time like no other monster on the internet, well, except Facebook!, but it is a wonderful place to gain incredible inspiration and ideas as well as keep an account of what you have done. 
There are so many of you who are new to the blog, so I thought I would do a recap for you today. At the bottom of each Fabulous Free Pattern Friday post, you will find "Labels." Fabulous Free Pattern Friday is highlighted. If you click there, it will take you directly to all of the posts. You can also click here and you will be taken to all of the posts.  Or, you can go to my board on Pinterest and find all of the posts there as well.   At the bottom of all the pictures below, I have linked the posts. Thanks so much for following and all of your encouraging comments.  I'm super excited because I was asked to do a program for our group, The Haute Couture Club of Chicago. Our fashion show chairwoman, Cennetta, The Mahogany Stylist, would like for the first piece I have pictured below to be our group pattern for next year's show!!!! What fun!

The Circular Skirt
Wrapped In Ruans

The Eight Gore Skirt

The One Seam Rectangle Skirt


The Draped Cover up

The Obi Bag

The Flutter Top


Two Rectangles Make a Vest

The Paper Bag Vest

The Circle Jacket 


Rectangles Lost In a Sea of Red

The John Koch Rose

Square Me A Hat

The Paper Bag Jacket

The Felted Necklace With a Heart

Circle Around Top

Pleated Drape Skirt

Wrap My Head Headband

The Draped Front Ballerina Top

The All Points Skirt

As You Choose Top/Wrap/Skirt

It Only Takes Two....Rectangles
The Layered Circular Skirt

The Rectangle Robe

The Handkerchief Skirt

The Kimono Bag


The Rectangle Negligee

The Circle Clutch



What's On The Table Skirt

The Carmen Miranda Skirt

The Easy Breezy Top

Dashiki Easy Top

Ladies Who Lunch Bag

Eight Gore Skirt With Pockets and a Raised Waistline
I know that everything is not for everybody, but I do hope that there is maybe one thing for everybody!
Happy Sewing!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. What a joy to see all these wonderful patterns and garments together. Thanks so much for sharing your enthusiasm and learning with all of us. Your generous spirit and kindness come across in every post. Not all sewing teachers have those qualities so I want to make sure you know how rare and wonderful they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collection! I admire your talent and generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you had so many. Thanks for reviewing for the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous selection of patterns. Thank you for your generosity in allowing us to share Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a spectacular collection of garments, items and originality - thank you so much for being generous and sharing it all with us mere mortals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for putting all these in one place! I'd like to try a few of the patterns and now I don't to hunt for different ones!

    ReplyDelete