f

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Brunch

By now, you may think I've fallen off the face of the earth. I owe you two Sleeves on Saturday posts. My niece was over yesterday and before I knew it, the day just got away from me. I promise to get these posts done this week.
No Sunday Brunch piece was posted this morning either. So where was I this morning?
I was on my way to the southeastern edge of Indiana to pick up a dog. A fellow pilot with whom I've tagged with on other flights emailed me a few weeks ago and told me that he had found a dog that he would like to adopt. The dog was near Cincinnati. I've been to Cincinnati before, so I was willing to go, but told him that if he could find one other pilot to help, that would be great. He did. Once we were all in place, we made plans to do the flight last Sunday but Mother Nature had other ideas and the flight was postponed to today.
The above picture is a hoot!! I look so serious, rather than a Joe pilot, maybe a Josephine pilot? You can see the dog crate sitting behind me.
It seems like the wind gods have it out for me these days. Every flight I've been on in the last year, except for one, the winds have bounced me all over the place. Just as I flashed the picture above, I hit some turbulence.
This is what I was trying to take a picture of. It's the lakefront just south of Chicago in the early morning.
This is what I usually look at as I fly along, field after field.
At one point, I looked out and saw that a fly had hitched a ride. What is a fly doing at 4000 feet?
If you look closely, you can see the little black speck just on the leading edge of the strut.
 You can probably tell that I was a little bored today. I think airports look so interesting from the sky.
 Finally I made it to my destination and there the other pilot was waiting with Maddox.
 Maddox and I made it back to Chicago where his new "family" was waiting to pick him up and fly one more leg to Wisconsin. Such a lovely dog. Have a happy life Maddox!!
 After I dropped off Maddox, I had to fly back to Midway, our second airport here in Chicago. As usual, it was as busy as it could be. Southwest waiting for takeoff with a private jet waiting in line and other Southwest jets coming up the taxiway.
Boy oh boy would I love to get a ride in one of these planes!!! I think they are here because of the approaching Nato summit.
So...once I arrived home, I was famished, something good was definitely in order. My favorite...

Gooseberry Cobbler
This cobbler can be made out of any fruit. I had the gooseberries in the freezer and I wanted to use them. It's just about time to pick a whole new batch!
Begin by heating the stove to 350 degrees. While the stove is heating, melt a stick of butter in your baking dish.
Next, combine
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of flour (I used whole wheat, but regular flour is perfectly fine)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt
The recipe calls for milk, but as I was going through the cupboard, I found this bottle of Santa Clara. It's a liquor from Mexico. Great on ice cream by the way. I decided to give it a try. You will need 3/4 to 1 cup of milk, or if you like, Santa Clara! 
Whisk all together.
I had my gooseberries ready to go.
The butter is all melted.
Pour in the flour mixture.
 Place whatever fruit you like on top. Bake for 45 minutes.
The finished cobbler.
I will usually wait until it has cooled a bit, but I was hungry, so the cobbler was a little soft.
So how did it taste? I will confess that I went back for seconds!
This is such an easy recipe and one that I use a lot when I have company as I can quickly throw it together and let it cook while we eat. I would usually serve it with whipped cream or ice cream, but today I had neither.
A good Sunday! Hope yours has been special! 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that looks yummy, and so much butter!

    It looks like you had a beautiful, uneventful flight. Sounds like a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I had never thought of using whole wheat flour for a cobbler - thanks for the tip. It'll be a good way to use up the rest of the bag that's sitting in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see that Maddox didn't seem too concerned by his flights. I hope he settles well in his new home.

    Your gooseberry cobbler looks very nice but I think your fruit may be different to what we describe as gooseberries in the UK. They are usually green, a little hairy, very tart(sour), and not my favourite fruit!

    ReplyDelete