f

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thor Is In The House

It's a rainy Sunday morning here in Chicago. Thunder and lightening are all around us. Thor is here.
Thor is believed to be the god of thunder and lightening. His legend is quite interesting. He was believed to be the strongest of the Norse gods, married Sif, a goddess of fertility, but also kept a mistress, Jarnsaxa, the "iron cutlass."    (I guess even the gods are tempted)
Thor is portrayed as being very large, with flowing red hair and eyes of lightening. He was also believed to be the protector of both gods and man. The Norse believed that the thunderstorms were Thor riding through the heavens on his chariot which was pulled by goats. Very well known for having a quick, hot temper, which he would vent on the giants, the main enemies of the gods, Thor would smash their heads with his mighty hammer and in doing so, lightening would strike.
I love this drawing of Thor, a mighty man, deep in thought.

Dark rainy days feel like a warm blanket to me. I love being inside and just being in my home. Days like this give me permission to just be. I get to choose what I want to do. This morning I chose to make pancakes. I call them Hippy-Dippy Pancakes because they are hardly a traditional recipe, but they are really pretty good.  The recipe follows.


Hippy-Dippy Pancakes
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
3 tablespoons almond meal (ground almonds)
2 tablespoons white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups almond milk
Add your choice of fruit and nuts
Mix all ingredients. Heat griddle. I like to use a two-burner cast iron griddle. Pour batter by the 1/4 cup full on to griddle. As the cake begins to bubble, turn and brown on opposite side. Transfer to plate and continue with remaining batter. Serve with maple syrup and butter. Enjoy. 



Oh the anticipation.
I think the best testimonial I can give you is pictured here. Little Bit LOVES my pancakes!!

 Would you PLEASE give it to me???
Finally.


In case you're wondering, I have finished eating. I don't continue to eat with the same fork.
I hope you're able to enjoy your Sunday in whatever way you wish. And if Thor is bouncing around in your clouds, just smile and know that whenever you see a flash of lightening there's one less giant out there to torment us. Or at least, so says the legend.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment